Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

July 11, 2018

Secretary and recorder of minutes:  Rami Ring

Board Members Present:  John Ciambrone, Guy Davis, Jim Albone, Chuck Pfaff, Cliff Gilley, Mike Chin-Quee, Aron Risley, and Rami Ring

Board Members Absent:  Kalani Kaili

Head Coach Ed Teixeira present

Other members present:  Marcie Davis, Forrest Wild

John called the meeting to order at 6:00 PM at the WVA community meeting room.  Jim motions to accept the minutes, motion is seconded all approved.

  • Treasurer’s Report (Glenn)
    • Glenn has looked into making a budget for 2019
  • Coach’s Report (Ed)
    • Coach is looking to put crews together for states in 2 weeks.
    • Coach has reached out to 2 clubs on Oahu regarding borrowing canoes for states.
    • Scott Head from Waikoloa Land Co met with Ed, and they are very appreciative of WCC and will be extending more space on beach to store 2 new canoes.  They will also allow us to move existing rack or build new rack to store 1 man canoes.  Guy recommends storing J1 & J4 in new area, and along with  Ed will decide on which canoes will be stored there.
    • Financial assistance for states- Jim makes a motion to award a financial assistance to each paddler that goes to states, not to exceed $1800 total and a maximum limit of $100/person.  CQ seconds the motion, Chuck, Cliff, Aron and Rami agree.  Guy votes against the motion.
  • Equipment Report (Guy & Ed)
    • Storage tabled until next month
    • New Bradley canoe is delayed
    • Ultra light- should have been on Oahu on 7/4 and here 7/11, but no word yet.
    • Naming of the canoe- Ki`Aukai (seafarer) has been the leader in member votes  for naming of the new Bradley , Ed  will research to see if the name is appropriate.
  • Fundraisers
    • GWCR- Mike CQ goes over the planning of the race and has informed the board that we have not been successful in getting a commitment of food for the race.

John to draft up blast to club regarding food, Rami to send email. Jim agrees to talk to Hilton Grand Vacations and Tex Mex in Waikoloa.  Ed will talk to LavaLava, and Aron will talk to Pueo’s and Armstrong’s for produce.  John will work on draft budget for race. Meeting next Tues, 7/17,  on beach after practice.

  • Moku Report
    • Nothing new to report
  • HCRA Report
    • Nothing new to report
  • Membership Report (Chuck)
    • 24 new members this month,  brings our total membership to 163 recreation, 136 racing paddlers.
  • Unfinished Business
    • Kyle has updated website.  Jim wants to improve our story line about how the club started, history of the club.  A suggestion is also made to put race results on the website.  Will discuss at a later date.

Next meeting is Wed, Aug. 1 at 6:00 pm, at the WVA community meeting room.

Rami makes a motion to adjourn, motion is seconded and approved by all.

Meeting adjourned at 7:32 pm