Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Oct. 10, 2018

Secretary and recorder of minutes:  Rami Ring

Board Members Present:  Guy Davis, Jim Albone, Chuck Pfaff, Cliff Gilley, and Rami Ring

Board Members Absent:  John Ciambrone, Mike ChinQuee, Glenn Leonberger, Aron Risley

Head Coach Ed Teixeira present

Other members present:  Ronald Hayward, Randy Ring

Chuck called the meeting to order at 6:03 PM at the WVA community meeting room.  Jim makes a motion to accept the minutes, motion is seconded all approved.

  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Glenn was absent at the meeting, however we having been informed that he working on a budget for 2019
  • Coach’s Report (Ed)
    • There are 6 practice times-6 recreational paddling on Tues, Thurs and Sunday am, and advanced paddling on Tues & Thur pm &  Sat am are advanced.  Any crew that wants to work out on their own, needs to let Coach know by email, text or phone call, Rami to send email and remind the club.
    • Blessing of the canoes went really well.  Kamaokalani was launched and allowed the recreational paddlers a chance to try it out.  The blessing also gave Coach an opportunity to recognize special people, however in all the excitement of the day he forgot to acknowledge Steve Columbo for all his hard work hauling all the canoes to every regatta in Kona and bringing them back to ABay.  Steve also hauled canoes to Hilo and long distance races, and Coach Ed expressed his appreciation and thanks to Steve Columbo.
    • Coach Ed gave Randy Ring the floor to inform the board about the Pailolo race.  He expressed his thanks to board for supporting the race and crew, and informed them that they got 3rd place in 50’s men.  Randy requests that the club continue to support off island races such as Napali, Pailolo, Molokai Hoe.
  • Equipment Report (Guy & Ed)
    • Bradley lightening needs to have motif yet…Jim & Ed are looking at motifs.  Anyone with suggestions of designs for the new canoe please contact Jim.
    • Number still needs to be mounted on the Ultra light.
    • New water hose bib is in place.  Guy bought parts, gave them to beach boys and they had it done the next day.
    • Tire for wheels have never showed up.  One dollie is on order, should be here any day now.
    • OC1 rack is completed and filled.  There is still a waiting list.
    • It was brought up that canoes need to be taken out of service and taken in for repairs.  Coach got help from Guy, Ronald & Chuck to get the canoe (Kama O Kalani)  to Hookena for Bill Rosehill to do repairs.  Once th J6 comes back, Na’au Pono needs to be taken in.
  • Fundraisers
    • Ironman cancelled, not enough help available
  • Moku Report
    • No meeting this month.  Few changes were discussed, nothing major or changes to the races.  There was talk of reducing number of races in regattas to 7 instead of 9 in future (not 2019).  Guy would like Jim to propose a 70’s division again, Jim stated that he will send out an email with the proposal.
  • HCRA Report
    • Nothing new to report
  • Membership Report (Chuck)
    • Day memberships are going well.  Not much else to report.
  • Unfinished Business
    • Annual meeting is upcoming,  Rami to send out email requesting bios for those interested in running for the board.
    • There was discussion on issues with the website.
  • New Business
    • Rack rental committee-Ted is getting together a committee with Jeb, Ted, and John & Mike Bernstone to review and update policies & enforce rules.
    • Jim got an email from WVA if we want to reserve the conference room for 2019.  Yes.

Next meeting is Wed, Nov. 7, at 6:00 pm, at the WVA community meeting room.

Jim makes a motion to adjourn, motion is seconded and approved by all.

Meeting adjourned at 7:02 pm