Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Feb. 7, 2018
Secretary and recorder of minutes: John Ciambrone
Board members present: John Ciambrone, Jim Albone, Guy Davis, Kalani Kaili, Chuck Pfaff and Cliff Gilley
Board members absent: Rami Ring, Mike Chin-Quee, Aron Risley
Head Coach Ed Teixeira present
Other members present: Glenn Leonberger, Club Treasurer; Laura Leonberger; Valinda Beasley
John opened the meeting at 6:05 pm at the Waikoloa Village Association community meeting room.
Cliff makes a motion to approve the Jan. meeting minutes with one correction, under equipment report, Bob Yap picked up 1 set of iakos, not Guy Davis. Motion is 2nd by Guy Davis and approved by all.
- Treasurer’s Report
- John introduced Glenn Leonberger as the Club’s new Treasurer. Signature cards have been updated at the bank and the transition from Mike Bernstone to Glenn has gone smoothly. Glenn, John and Rami are authorized check signers.
- Glenn provided an analysis of checks written in 2017, 37 total checks issued. Of those, 16 were over $500, and of the 16 checks over $500, 12 were over a thousand. At the January meeting the board passed a motion requiring all checks over $500 to require 2 signatures. Glenn thought it would be beneficial to increase that level to reduce the number of checks needing 2 signatures. Jim Albone made a motion to increase the limit for 2 signatures to $1000 and higher. Motion was 2nd by Guy Davis and approved by all. A reminder that all expenditures over $500 require board approval.
- Glenn is also implementing a reimbursement form to be completed for purchases made. The form will be available on Dropbox and will need to be submitted to Glenn with receipts for reimbursement.
- Glenn will be scanning and placing bank statements into Dropbox for our review.
- Coach’s Report
- Coach Ed shared the kick-off meeting held on 1/26/18 went well. First practice followed. Assistance coaches will be Jun Balanga, Jeb Goss, and Aron Risley coaching juniors, though scheduling may be a problem for the Junior Program.
- Current practice schedule is Tues. and Thurs. at 4:30 pm and Sat. at 8:00 am. As numbers grow we will split practice times, Men will be Mon., Wed., and Sat. and Women will be Tues., Thurs., and Sat. Junior practice will be Wed. and Fri.
- Coach Ed shared he has purchased 2 glass canoes and a trailer which he will lend to WCC for both Ohana and Racing practice. John to research insurance coverage for the canoes. Mahalo Ed for sharing your canoes.
- Equipment Report
- Guy reported the Ho`omaluo is back and looks great. The J1 is back in service.
- Guy Davis made a motion, 2nd by Kalani Kaili to service either the J4 or J5 at a cost not to exceed $2000. Motion was approved by all. Guy and Ed to determine which one goes first for work.
- It was decided to wait for Guy’s return to determine the next steps with the Tahitian strip canoe. Guy thinks he may be able to do the repairs.
- American Savings Bank event went well, 28 employees from the bank participated.
- Valinda Beasley, representing husband Phillip, asked for our participation again in this year’s Lavaman scheduled for March 25. In return for our participation the club will receive $1500. Phillip will assist but we need someone from the club to provide leadership. Chuck made a motion, 2nd by Cliff to again participate in Lavaman 2018. John to coordinate with Rami an appeal to the club for a chair or co-chairs for this event.
- Guy reported the medals for the GWCR have been ordered and will take a few months to receive them.
- Moku Report
- Kalani and Cliff attended the January 26th Moku meeting.
- Clubs are being asked to increase their contribution to pay for the new liability insurance policy. A check for $1722 was sent out in early January representing a payment of $14.00 per racing member, 123 members for 2017. They are requesting an additional $3.54 per member, or an additional $435.42. John will confirm with Moku before the check is sent.
- Tentative race schedule is available. John to email to the board members.
- Important dates-April 21 is the weighing of the canoes starting at 8:00 am in Kawaihae. April 28 will be the officials training.
- The next Moku meeting is March 10th.
- Membership Report
- Chuck reported memberships for 2018 are steadily coming in. He has created an excel spreadsheet in Dropbox with all members and member information. He is also updating the HCRA membership at the same time. It was determined that all members should have an ID on file.
- The membership drive will be Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 24 & 25 from 8:00 am to 10:00 am. Jim Albone will submit the information to West Hawaii Today Short Hops.
- Unfinished business
- Ultra light canoe purchase and discussion tabled.
- New Business
- Rack rentals are due Feb. 15th. Ted Cassinelli is coordinating. The board confirmed policy of 1 rack rental for a single member, 2 racks for a family member. Once the waiting list is gone and if there are spaces available members may increase their number of rentals.
- Guy, with all his new found free time, has been checking the website. The website needs updating, much information is old. John to coordinate with Rami making updates to the website.
Next meeting is Wed, March 7, at 6:oo pm at WVA community meeting room.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:35 pm