Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
May 7, 2014
The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on May 7, 2014, at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present except Ric Rapp. Coach Jeb Goss present.
Members in attendance; Daniel Legler, Kim Pratt, Chris Nilssen
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
April 2, 2014 meeting minutes approved after vote of 4 to 3 for removal of one item under code of conduct.
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- See P & L Statement, Ocean Sports still owes $3,500 to us
- Lisa will update in Ric’s absence; Ric will keep updated list of active / paid members to cross reference for rec paddlers
- Michelle reviewed breaking out past Fiji funds with Accountant and Tax professional and with taxes complete and books closed advice was not to change.
- Kawaihae this weekend, 6 crews
- Evening practice still on the water at 5:15 but canoes will be in the bay for 5:30 arrivals
Moku Update: Kim Pratt
- Check Moku status, only association secretaries have ability to correct
- To check go to HCRA and review Division, Jennifer will send email to remind all
- No Moku meetings until September
- Regattas finish line all paddlers must paddle through or be disqualified
- OC1 Rack Design – Harold, Daniel, and Ted
- Racks are approved by WLC on the condition that these are built exactly to plans and location and WLC will require they approve the paint for the galvanized piping. The main rack will be slide in. Total approx. spaces will result in 49 total slots now. Daniel will bring the paint to them for approval next week. Jeb concerned with using cedar due to the carpenter bees. Daniel will treat the wood. Daniel will get material list going. Preassemble at Daniels and then set up a time for everyone to move canoes.
- Ho’omaluō Iakos; Measurements taken at canoe weighing, Doug Bumatay will have ready by end of regatta. Making out of Hau, cost should be between $750 to $1,000.
- Koa Inventory- we have 200 board feet, it is stored where it won’t be damaged, Bill is fine still holding
- Makana I Ke Kai bulk heads/refinishing; Jim sent quotes to board
- Quote included sand/refinish entire hull exterior to bare wood and refinish as done on Kama O Kalani, sand hull exterior to remove weight and to make canoe lighter, build and install bulk heads under both front and back manu, and install self- bailer (bailing system to be provided by WCC), Estimate $4,350.
- Self-bailer is a few hundred dollars. (Daniel recommended a Venturi).
- Michael motion to complete Makana I Ke Kai scope of work according to Bill’s quote and statement of work. Michelle 2nd. Discussion on total costs. Unanimously approved.
- Jeb will send a reminder email regarding all paddles must be taped to paddle a wood canoe.
- Jeb noted that all canoes are having excessive sand in the canoes, sand needs to be removed and paddlers need to get sand out of water shoes and off feet before getting in canoes. Paddle directors to remind paddlers.
- Proposal to sell 2 canoes to Parker School for $6,000 total and replace with 2 new canoes for club. Preference J2 and J3.
- Parker must have invoice before the end of May to secure funds. Canoe delivery would not be until the fall.
- Lisa motion to sell the 2 canoes to Parker School for $6,000 and replace with 2 fiberglass canoes to be decided. Mike second. Unanimously approved.
- Cost estimates for new canoes, 2 Bradley Lightning Classics with Ama, Iakos and 2 colors $26,505. Single Mirage M2 in fiberglass layup is $11,699 w/hull, ama, and pair of iakos and 2 colors. Single Mirage M2 in foam core $14,399. $300 discount for ordering 2.
- Ted motion to buy 2 Mirage M2’s, fiberglass layup. Michael 2nd, unanimously approved.
- Equipment Manager; Harold & committee
- J5 needs repair-crack, Daniel offered to repair at home after Kawaihae race
- Harold will look at other canoes for spot repair Sunday
- Paddle refinishing is complete, still need taped, everyone to remind paddlers not to dig paddles into the sand
- Canoe covers on hold until Beth returns
- Paddle Inventory; Lisa talked to Bob, requested 1 each of 43-47. Jeb will talk to Derek to find out what the keiki need.
Upcoming Events & Fundraisers:
- May 1st complete and paid.
- June 15th and 19th Panache request for 200 people is confirmed for leisure paddle outs, 4 canoes each day. Time TBA
- May 31st Honu Triathalon, 2 stations, adults station 6a-10a on road by Hapuna, keiki on the run station 9a-3p
- Halau roof extension, On hold
Fiji Paddle Display at Lava Lava
- Jeb to ask Lava Lava if we can put paddle there
Annual Meeting by-law addendum passed on internet voting, insertion into by-laws
- Michelle sent to board – pau
Rash Guard orders, sizes, new design; Lisa
- Lisa inventoried most inventory, most is large/xlarge, need smalls/mediums, will finish inventory and make recommendation
- Lisa continue to work on design
- Ted will update Lisa on suppliers
New Board Review of complete review of code of conduct and by-laws and waivers
- Ric will forward updates to COC in particular on liability and any other areas where liability language is in conflict to the board.
- Jim copy of BOD insurance back from Ric and provided back to Michelle.
- Paddle Directors Meeting; Jennifer noted that a number of complaints have been made regarding being turned away at the beach. We need to have a Paddle Directors meeting for review of the code of conduct once Ric has returned in June, possibly second week of the month.
Surf Ski Maintenance
- Daniel will fix it and we will donate to kids club in Kona
Fiji Crews in August for GWCR
- Not able to come.
Paying Dues online 2015 and beyond
- Michelle is working on getting pay pal up and running.
OC1 Rack space lease terms
- Jennifer will re-send board Ric’s suggestions to the forms.
GWCR committee; shirt design
- Request for a color shirt
- Jenn/Michael will send to club for designs
Discussion on yearly audit
- Ric will send Michelle list of categories requested
Website changes for recreational paddle times (arrive by 7:45am)
- Ted discussion on entertainment budget. Michelle noted last year this totaled less than $500. Traditionally the club buys pizza after Regatta championships & other like events.
Keiki Rash guards
- Request for Board to sponsor keiki rash guards. Mua can do with existing designs. Need sizes from keiki. Lisa motion to purchase the keiki rash guards like last year. Jennifer 2nd. Unanimously approved. Jennifer will follow up with Derek (or Iris and Deanne) and get to Michelle order.
Finalizing all membership submissions
- Iris and Dee Ann are handling finalizing keiki paperwork/photos
- Jennifer will email remaining adults
- Ric had volunteered to take rec photos previously
Last weekend’s race
- We did not send any crews last week. In the past we give donation to hosting club. Michelle motion to send $100 to Kamehameha. Unanimously approved.
Meeting adjourned 8:27 PM
- Next meeting for June will be May 28, 2014, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams Realty Office.