Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
October 2, 2013
The meeting convened at 6:28 PM on October 2, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present except Jennifer Bolstad and Michael Landers.
Coach Derek in attendance. Members Lisa Legler, Bitsy Bowman, Ric Rapp, Ted Cassinelli, Mike Goyette and Mike ChinQuee in attendance.
Minutes recorded by Michelle Gautier in absence of Jennifer Bolstad.
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
September 11, 2013 meeting minutes approved by all
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- See P & L Statement
- Net income from Great Waikoloa Canoe Race is $2624.03
- No updates
Moku Update: Jim Albone
- Meeting scheduled for Oct 5
- Jim and Derek wrote up the submissions for the MOKU by-laws changes
- November meeting will hold the voting
Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone
- OC1 Rack builds and Hale roof; Greg will send designs and costs in next few days and plans to finish this year, OC2s will need specific spots. Will need to notify OC1 rack members they will need to remove canoes temporarily during build.
- New Dollie – Doug says wheels are still on order
- Ho’omaluō Ama / Iakos; Ama has been delivered. We’ll need to rig it up with different iakos to determine what we want in our new iakos.
- Lengthening straps for covers for some canoes this week – Derek
- For November meeting after seeing if Ho’omauluō is approved; Kama O Kalani cracks need repair, discussed previously making hull modifications to make him faster. If we do the repairs we should consider the hull modifications. $9,300 cost for hull modifications. Canoe would have to be water lined again. Bill doesn’t have a spot to do this yet.
- Need to look at re-finishing Iakos for Kukini Kai and a few others during off season (after Fiji race). Ama needs fixed too.
- Need to repair a few other amas for structural issues.
Upcoming Events & Fundraisers: Michael
- Feb 19th and 20th (2 days) with Chrysalis for leisure paddle outs
- Ironman Oct 12th; 7a – 3p est. Bike aid station, need 60 volunteers
- Majority of members voted for major next purchase to be Ultra-light canoe. $18,000 cost. Will review after OC1 racks.
Review of Fiji Paddle
- 10 current paddlers with air
- 2 paddles, 2 dictionaries and a hat have been donated
- $200 check from Biscardis to WCC for paddles and school supplies
- Gofundme is at $325
- Steak Sale in progress
- Up and running, feedback from club has been good
- Work with Lillian on YouTube integration
Makana I Ke Kai Bulkheads
- On hold
Used Bradley offer
- Deal is no longer on the table
Review of Koa inventory, storage, value – Jim
- On hold – Bill is moving so didn’t ask him
New Waiver book f/u
- New book is down there
Club reminder to run for the board
- Jim sent. 6 members came to meeting! Great turnout!
End of year party
- Club provide meat, sodas, water, keg
- Date: Saturday, November 23, 2013
- Possibly buy steaks from steak sale
- Club brings sides or dessert
- Where: TBD
- Kim will plan and get nominations – would like 2 people to help. Jim will help.
- Ric wants to see a detailed one to show what costs are for koa, blessing, etc. Michelle will send a statement for this year.
Rec Paddlers Review OC1 rack design
- Ted requests that a few OC1 owners review the new rack design before it’s built.
Waikoloa Land Co
- Jim got our GWCR date approved for 2014
Meeting adjourned 7:05 PM
Next meeting November 6, 2013, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams.