Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

The meeting convened at 6:10 PM on September 8, 2015, at Waikoloa Village Association conference room in Waikoloa Village.

Secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes: Kyle Combes

Board members present: Harold van Doren (via phone), Jim Albone, Kyle Combes, Mike Chinquee, Mike Bernstone, Ted Cassinelli, Chris Nilsen

Board members absent: Lisa Legler

Head coach Daniel Legler present.

Members in attendance: Guy Davis, Marcie Davis

Vice President Ted Cassinelli opened the meeting.

Previous meeting minutes

  • Jim motions to accept amended minutes, unanimous approval

Treasurer’s Report (Mike Bernstone)

  • $6,960 from GWCR
  • Received thank you card from Milolii for donation towards canoe repair
  • Jim motions to change savings account from “Savings – Koa” to “Savings – Capital Improvement,” to be used for major jobs; unanimous approval

Coach’s Report (Daniel)

  • GWCR
    • 58 paid crews
    • Lots of positive feedback from other clubs & Lava Lava, nothing negative
    • 2nd-day event went well; turnout a little weak, first year though, to be expected
    • Kai Opua willing to advertise GWCR on their website (for visiting clubs)
    • Race results messed up in paper, will post to club website and Lisa will send link to clubs

Equipment Report (Daniel)

  • Will begin work on display case
  • Kama O Kalani
    • Quote from Bill Rosehill for $16,700, missed a few things initially, will go up to ~$20,000
    • Any repairman can have canoe done by the next racing season (3-4 months)
  • Need to get a couple iakos finished and an ama fixed
    • Mike CQ will call Mikey Akizawa
    • Chris motions to get Kukini Kai’s and 2 M2s’ iakos refinished, spending capped at $700; unanimous approval
  • Glass is starting to separate on an M2
  • Two dollies need work (bearings need to be replaced, flat tire)
  • Harold will send out an email reminding paddlers to return any club blades in their possession to the shed for inventory control

Facebook Status (Chris)

  • Hasn’t worked on it yet, been out of the loop
  • Will try one last time to work with Jenn; if nothing can be reached, will create new page by next meeting

Website Status (Kyle)

  • Still waiting on domain transfer
  • Gained access to PayPal
  • Need to update Code of Conduct on site
  • Daniel will send Kyle Phil Pendergras’ info, Kyle will talk about updating the website

Reconsidering Ironman Participation

  • No change; won’t participate

Fund Raising (Ted)

  • Received email from John Ciambrone, suggestions for fund raising (email retained by secretary)
  • Ted will talk to John, verify that he won’t charge for fund raising assistance

Koa Inventory Status (Daniel)

  • Still missing 100 board-feet of koa


  • Kyle will look for October 10, 2012, special meeting minutes
  • Finished discussing section 12 out of 17

Meeting adjourned 8:03 PM.

Next meeting scheduled for Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 6:00 PM at Waikoloa Village Association conference room.