Secretary and recorder of minutes: Rami Ring

Board members present: John Ciambrone, Jim Albone, Chuck Pfaff, Cliff Gilley, Aron Risley and Rami Ring

Board members absent: Mike ChinQuee, Guy Davis Head Coach Ed Teixeira present

Other members present: Ted & Tracy Cassinelli, Vicky Serrao, Ronald Hayward

John opened the meeting at 6:00 pm at the Waikoloa Village Association community meeting room.

Cliff makes a motion to approve the Oct. meeting minutes, motion is seconded and approved by all.

•Treasurer’s Report (Glenn)

◦Budget- Glenn presented the proposed budget for 2019. John asks everyone to look over the proposed budget, and we can discuss it/fine tune it next year. Glenn suggests that we set guidelines that don’t require board approval if it’s already in the budget.

•Coach’s Report (Ed)

◦Ed’s presented a thank you letter to be included as part of minutes.

◦Ohana already had 8 canoes going out the other day, usually 5-6 in mornings and 2-3 in afternoons.

◦Ed spoke to Bill Rosehill about repairs on Na’au Pono, but Bill is currently busy with building new canoes for Keauhou. He has not received Bill’s invoice for repairs on Kama O Kalani yet, but repairs are complete. 2 strip canoes will also need to be repaired. Ed would like to bring the koa plank canoe down for use, because it appears we will need it for Ohana. If we don’t have enough canoes we may possibly need to have 2 cycles of paddling in AM. Day membership brings in money , but that increases the number of paddlers, especially during busy season. We are all reminded that IF there are seats available, we can utilize day membership paddlers.

◦The motif design for J7 new Bradley is still being researched. Ronald has some samples that he will present later.

•Equipment Report

◦There is a need for addition saddles for OC1’s, lots are missing. It was decided that the club will pay for 12 new saddles to be made.


◦Glenn suggested that we designate a point person for fundraisers, so interested parties can be directed at that person.

•Moku Report

◦Annual meeting this Sat, will need to pay for membership.

◦70’s division was brought up, but it did not get support. In order for it to be approved, another race will have to be forfeited.

◦Voting on rule changes this Sat.


◦Annual meeting is coming up in Dec.

•Membership Report (Chuck)

◦11 new members this month, 318 total.

◦Chuck re-worked the format of the membership form.

•Unfinished business

◦BoD annual elections- It appears the is no need for an election, only 3 candidates running for 3 positions. Ed questions if Steve Columbo will be running, Rami to send Steve Columbo an email asking if he is interested. If he is not interested, Jim will remain on the board and Ronald Hayward and Vicki Serrao will join the board.

◦Annual meeting to be held Dec. 5 at 5:30pm. John will make the agenda. Glenn & Chuck will be gone, and possibly Aron. Board meeting will be right after the annual meeting.

◦OC1 Rack

◾Ted brought suggested policy changes. He has noticed there are 2 canoes never being used, owners are long time members. It was decided we will be enforcing policy stipulation that canoe needs to be used, but the wording on the policy is too vague. It was decided that if a canoe is not used for the past year, then the following year canoe must be removed.

◾Question brought up by Ted: Can a single member buy a family membership and have 2 spaces? The board decided rack space is limited to 1 space per person, not to exceed 2 spaces per family membership. ◾Paperwork for new membership should be available by Jan 1 & rack space membership forms all due Jan. 31. Jim states waiver release of liability needs to be updated, same as membership form.

◦Signage at the beach-we have permission to update the sign, but need to show draft to WLC for final approval.

•New Business

◦Steve Blyth’s ama-Yasu asked Rami to bring up his suggestion to purchase Steve Blyth’s ama. Coach Ed reminded everyone that the board approved it last year, at a cost of $7000 but he couldn’t get it to us in time for the 2017 Moku championship, and the order was cancelled. 90% payment required up front.

The next meeting is the annual meeting on Wed, Dec. 5, at 5:30 pm at WVA community meeting room. Jim motioned to adjourn, motion was seconded. Meeting was adjourned at 7:35 pm