Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2022

Board Members present: Bob Yap, Randy Anderle, Maria Wagner, Maryann Holloway, Kiani Dodson, Ralph Adams, Rami Ring

Other members present:  Adele Salzman

Bob called the meeting to order at 6:01 pm.

Maria made a motion to accept the minutes as written.  The motion was seconded and approved by all.

Treasurer’s Report (Maria)  See attached report

Maria explains that extra meals were bought for GWCR, because the Milolii race had a good turnout, so we anticipated a large turnout.  End result was there was an excess of meals. 

Maria made a suggestion that we move some money from checking to savings if we continue to have a large balance in our checking. 

Maria & Bob discussed having the accountant doing the financials & running reports, however Tina, our accountant declined.  Maria would like to turn over some of the workload for Treasurer to an accountant or if not, possibly having 2 club Treasurers to share the work.   

Equipment Report (Randy)

Randy was told that we need to get our covers in for repair ASAP because the business that does them gets busy after this month, they will not be accepting any more work because of the holidays.  Bob is working with Kalani & Jeb to make a schedule for steering clinics, etc.  Bob will send out an email regarding continuing paddles/practices.  Maryann will follow up with Sign-up Genius to insure the paddling schedule is working.  Kiani mention that the teenagers are not able to access Sign-up Genius, and once she receives the link, she will set up a QR code for the juniors to access Signup Genius.  Kiani has interest in creating club hoodies/sweatshirts and mentioned that some of the juniors are interested in creating a design for the club.  Randy asks Kiani to head up a committee to come up some designs and it can be presented to the club to be voted on.  We may want to recruit Angel & Benny as well, this is in their wheelhouse.  Maria suggests taking a look at Sport-tek website.   

Membership Report

1 new recreational paddler this month.  Adele reports 106 rack spaces are rented out, 3 or 4 spots are still available.  Everything is paid up.

Moku & Hcra Report (Randy)

Race day live- this was the year we were supposed to work out the bugs.  We will not be allowed to use paper cards, everything will be online.  Club secretary has access, Randy suggests giving access to Bob, Randy & Kalani.  Kiani expressed interest in reinstating mixed open 4 race.   To help Kiani formulate a request to Moku, Bob forwarded Lillian’s email regarding adding 70’s races.  Randy will speak to Moku coordinator to discuss.

Randy proposed changes, to which changes were suggested.  There was discussion on how these suggested changes would close the loophole in the Moku rules and prevent violation of the intention of the motion.  A vote on Article III of the bylaws was held.  Maria makes a motion to accept the changes as written.  Randy 2nd the motion.  4 board members approved, 2 opposed. Vote on Section 5:  4 approved, 2 opposed.  As we were running out of time, Randy suggests moving on, and follow up via email to decide on how to word our suggestions for the next rule. 

Old Business

GWCR Recap- Maria’s report shows recap of the event.  Kudos to Maria for all her work with GWCR!  Amazing job!

New Business

There was discussion on Pam North’s injury report.  It was also brought up that it is clear that not all members feel appreciated or welcome, and Pam did not feel safe.  After much discussion, it was agreed that the board is very concerned about the safety and welfare of our paddlers, and it is clear the horn cannot be used as a toy. By stressing that everyone needs to show respect to each other, this can of action can be prevented in the future.  The insurance company will do their investigation and follow up and there were a couple of witnesses to the event, if necessary. 

Everything else tabled until next meeting.

The next meeting will be held Wed, Oct. 5 at 6:00 pm via Google meet.

The meeting was adjourned 8:16